Friday 4 November 2016

for humans are too easily influenced.

"We shape our tools and afterwards our tools shape us."

A very general statement that can apply to so many aspects of modern life. Marshall McLuhan probably had no idea what would be going on in the 21st century when he said it, but it seems to make sense with many situations in one's daily living.

Laziness is the mother of invention.

Looking for an easier way to do things? Fear not, your brain can usually come up with something that might make it even more difficult.

Or, at times, you might actually come up with something worthwhile.

Maybe you might even decide to spread the idea to people around you. Make yourself big. Share your solution to the public, hoping for a resounding chorus of "Yes, this is such a great idea! The world deserves to have this."

Image result for triumph gif
From mashable

Life is easier now.

Whatever the new idea was, it seems to make life a little easier. At the click of a button, you can now connect with your old college best friend that drifted from you after you started your master's degree. Tapping your screen a few times shares your smile when you finished that marathon to the world.

Certainly, a flick of the wrist is easier than approaching a stranger at the bar to say hello, in hopes that love may be found that night.

But what does that mean to us?

Media tools are created to make life easier for us, but what have we ceased to do in the process of transitioning into this world, so incredibly based on virtual interactions?

We've sacrificed one-on-one time to the convenience of text messages. We've thrown away our abilities to gather up the courage to talk to someone face to face. 

Image result for lazy gif
From giphy

These inventions have certainly made life easier for us, but are starting to take away what it truly means to be human.


The past and the present.

Marshall McLuhan had a point when he said that 'our tools shape us'. A genius idea from one person creates a community for so many other people to have access to influences and perhaps forget about their own values. Media is always a place that changes people.

People create social media platforms to broadcast values that are tuned to what will entice you, what will influence you, what will perhaps change you.

What's scary about it is that what is broadcasted on media is now creating identities for people in our society instead of reminding them that it's right to be unique, it's right to love your own values, it's right to be you.

I don't even know how different I would be without media.

3 comments:

  1. I love what you say about identity and uniqueness, and find your argument incredibly easy to follow because of your varied font sizes. I feel like I'm in the Matrix: take the blue pill and you get to find out what you'd really be like without media influence...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with what you're saying here. Looking back at it now, I don't know who I would be if I hadn't made my Facebook account back in 2011. I probably would've cared a lot less about what people thought of me. What part of you do you think would've been different if you hadn't be influenced by media?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that if I didn't have access to various ideas about motherhood, I'd feel guilty all the time. I also see that if I wan't exposed to various news sources, I wouldn't be so tolerant. At the same time, I can see myself moving towards a certain type of news source, and fear that I am not as easily able to consider other opinions: http://thefreethoughtproject.com/study-liberal-conservative-political-media/.

    ReplyDelete